How Long to Microwave Rice? Most people prefer to cook rice in a pot or a rice cooker on the stove. But what if we told you there was a lot easier, faster, and less expensive way to prepare rice?
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Interested? You can, in fact, cook both white and brown rice in the microwave!
How long should rice be microwaved? It’s a straightforward three-step procedure: Use a 1-1/2 cup rice-to-2-1/4 cup water ratio; microwave the rice on high for about 5 minutes, then on half heat for about 15 minutes; set aside for 5 minutes.
But there are a few more things you need know about microwave cooking rice to get the perfect taste and texture.
Continue reading to find out!
Why Should Rice Be Cooked in the Microwave?
First and foremost, why should you learn how to microwave rice? How Long to Microwave Rice Furthermore, using a microwave is only marginally faster than cooking rice on the stovetop.
So, here’s a list of the advantages:
- It’s really convenient because you can cook, consume, and serve the rice in a single dish or pot, eliminating the need to scrape pans with rice stuck on the bottom. Furthermore, there will be no burnt or overdone rice.
- It provides an on-the-go option – what if you’re stuck somewhere without gas or a stove?
- It needs less supervision – when cooking rice on the stove, you must constantly check the heat and keep an eye out for the water boiling; in a microwave, you set the temperature and timing and let the equipment do its job.
- It doesn’t sacrifice quality or taste — for those who are doubtful, microwaved rice is evenly cooked and tastes, smells, looks, and feels the same as stove-cooked rice. How Long to Microwave Rice Some experts even say they’re superior than stove-cooked rice!
How Long Should You Microwave Rice?
Fortunately, all types of rice can be microwaved: long-grain (e.g., basmati), short-grain (e.g., sushi rice), and medium grain rice (e.g., jasmine).
What differs, however, is the strength and power (wattage) of each microwave, which has a considerable impact on the cooking time and variety being cooked.
Always check the power of your microwave before starting to cook your rice. How Long to Microwave Rice If it’s a high-power confectionery unit, you may need to check the rice at regular intervals to ensure it’s cooking properly. You may also need to add or reduce the time it takes to cook the rice because a high-powered microwave cooks the rice faster.
The following are the possible times for microwaving various types of rice:
Microwave Rice Cooking Instructions
Let’s take a step-by-step look at how to dry cook rice in a microwave now that you’re probably convinced.
This article describes how to microwave one cup of dry rice. The cook times we’ll be discussing are based on a 900-watt, 0.9-foot microwave.
Step : Rinse the Rice
Rinse one cup of rice well under running water to remove any dust or dirt. Fill a sieve halfway with rinsed rice and gently shake to remove any excess water.
Step 2: Pour in Enough Water
There is no limit to the amount of water that can be added when boiling rice on the stove. However, specific ratios change while microwaving rice. How Long to Microwave Rice More water makes the rice fluid and mushy, while less water makes it dry and crunchy.
Check the label for instructions if you’re using packaged rice. In most circumstances, one part rice to two parts water is the basic guideline.
Step 3: In a microwave-safe dish, combine the rice and water.
In a microwave-safe dish, combine the rice and 2 cups of cool water. Make your dish slightly larger than needed because rice expands while cooking, and the extra space will keep it from boiling over and making a mess in the microwave.
Step 4: Preheat the dish in the microwave on high.
Microwave the dish, uncovered, for at least 5 to 10 minutes on the highest heat setting. How Long to Microwave Rice By the conclusion of this time, you should be able to see little holes in the rice where steam has escaped. The majority of the water should have evaporated as well. If this is not the case, continue microwaving in 1-minute increments until steam holes appear.
Step 5: Replace the lid on the dish and microwave it again.
Remove the dish from the microwave, cover with a microwave-safe lid (or a plastic sheet), and microwave for another 4 minutes.
Step 6: Microwave on low power once more.
Continue heating on the lowest setting for 15 minutes.
Because brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, you may need to microwave it for 20 minutes on low instead of 15.
Between microwave sessions, do not mix the rice.
Step 7: Set the cooked rice aside to cool.
After 15 minutes, remove the rice from the microwave and let it aside for about 5 minutes, covered. When removing the dish from the microwave, use caution. How Long to Microwave Rice If water has been poured over the dish, wait a few minutes before handling it with oven mitts. Remove the rice and taste it. If the texture is correct, season with salt and pepper and serve.
If it’s not quite correct and feels a little crispy, microwave it at 1-minute intervals until it’s just right.
A fork can be used to fluff the rick, which adds texture and improves its visual appeal.
Is it possible to reheat microwaved rice?
Cooked rice, according to popular opinion, should be consumed immediately and never reheated. Fortunately, this is not the case.
Rice can be reheated; however, a few steps must be taken to ensure that it is safe to consume. How Long to Microwave Rice This is primarily due to the fact that rice is more susceptible to bacterial growth than most leftover meals, particularly the infamous Bacillus cereus, which may also survive the cooking process. When we ingest reheated rice, this microbe frequently causes food poisoning, and who wants to wind up with spells of diarrhea and vomiting after a nice and peaceful meal?
However, properly managing reheated rice can keep you from being ill.
Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Replace the container’s lid with the rice. Add at least two tablespoons of water to each cup. Replace the lid and microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until the rice has re-steamed.
- When reheating the rice, please make sure it is boiling hot. How Long to Microwave Rice If you have a food thermometer, use it now; the internal temperature should be 165°F or greater.
- Serve and eat right away.
Rice cooked in the microwave is extremely convenient and tastes similar to rice prepared on the stove. Just carefully follow the heating and timing instructions, and you’ll be a microwave-cooking rice pro in no time.
Related Articles :-
- Can You Microwave Quinoa? How to Microwave?
- Can You Microwave Cookie Dough? How to Microwave Easily?
- Can You Microwave Frozen Mozzarella Sticks?
- Can You Microwave Pop Tarts?
- Can You Microwave Tupperware Plastic Products?
- Can You Microwave Sausage?